A long time ago, I got really excited by Master of Evolution and decided to look at the effect of stat changes brought on by the new Evolve mechanic. I’ve only opened 1 legendary in 40 packs of Knights of the Frozen Throne so far (boo), but got the Hero Shaman card for completing the prologue, Thrall Deathseer. By running the updated Evolve Shaman for ranked play, I suddenly got excited about Master of Evolution again. So, I decided to update the Evolve chart.
- I filtered all the minions that are currently playable in Standard, including the cards from this expansion.
- All playable minions are grouped by mana cost and an average was taken from attack and health.
- The transformed mana cost is either +1 or +2. I found the difference between the average attack and health by graduation in mana cost.
- I look at percentages of the evolved minion having an ability. The abilities I looked at were Taunt, Charge, Spell Damage, Lifesteal, Divine Shield, and End Turn Effect.
- I have a category called “Disaster.” This would be an evolved minion with something that could be really bad, causing you to lose your whole board or the game. The identified disaster evolves include Doomsayer, Ticking Abomination, Rattling Rascal, Bomb Squad and Anomalous.
- For the 1-mana cost slot in original minion, I included the 4 basic Shaman totem tokens. I figured these would be the most common evolve targets on the board in a Shaman game.
- While there are many more tokens that could be included in “original minion”, they were left out because there were too many.
- There are caveats to abilities. Hogger was counted as a Taunt minion in the 6-slot, even though no Gnoll will be made on a full board. I did not include Twilight Elder as an end of turn ability in the 3-slot. I did not include Ethereal Arcanist as an end of turn ability in the 4-slot.
1-mana Evolve chart (Evolve, Devolve, Master of Evolution, Thrall hero power)
2-mana Evolve chart (Thrall hero battlecry)
- 2-mana Evolve from Thrall is really good, probably what makes the hero card so impactful on Turn 5.
- 4 mana to 5 mana is the best intermediate cost evolution for stats. 6 to 7 and 7 to 8 are really good as well.
- The ability to get Taunt goes up a good degree in the middle to late mana costs.
- 8 mana seems to be where all the big effect cards are. A 1/19 for Anomalous though.
- Once the minions get too big, they just become Snowfury Giant or Sea Giant. Probably shouldn’t evolve them by then, unless for healing purposes.