Unlike Ranked, the Arena meta in Hearthstone typically doesn’t shift much during an expansion. People figure out which cards are good when they are released, and they are typically right on most of the evaluations. Through personal experience playing cards, a few cards will be reevaluated. Take Knights of the Frozen Throne for example. Upon the reveal of Bonemare, I think everyone knew it would be a top-3 Arena neutral for the set. The card will always be premium, probably until it gets rotated out of Standard.
The new Arena meta, or the so-called “Synergy Meta,” is a bit different, and we have seen upheavals from the previous power pyramid. I decided to look at the top cards from the new set for each class, and use that as a gauge to see how the class is doing.
- I went to hsreplay.net to look at Arena cards by deck winrate.
- I sorted new cards to look at neutrals, and by-class.
- I ranked each top-performing card by where they stand in the class card pool.
Top class card comparison
- Ultimate Infestation – 60.6% WR, #1 Druid card
- Malfurion the Pestilent – 60% WR, #2 Druid card
- Druid of the Swarm – 59.2% WR, #3 Druid card
- Fatespinner – 58.5% WR, #4 Druid card
- Webweave – 58.4%, t5 Druid card
If by some cruel twist, the main complaint of Ranked Hearthstone is also the best Druid class card for Arena. It is a new Arena development, as Druid was never top shelf in the format. The top Druid class cards all being new cards likely has something to do with the class’ rise in the ranks.
- Deathstalker Rexxar – 57.7% WR, #1 Hunter card
- Venomstrike Trap – 56.5% WR, #17 Hunter card
- Abominable Bowman – 55.7% WR, #31 Hunter card
- Corpse Widow – 55.7% WR, t31 Hunter card
- Professor Putricide – 55.5% WR, #34 Hunter card
Unlike other classes, Hunter doesn’t rely on card quality, rather playing the Aggro game to be faster than others. The new cards from this expansion weren’t too impressive relative to the Hunter class toolkit.
- Frost Lich Jaina – 60.1% WR, #1 Mage card
- Sindragosa – 57.1% WR, #15 Mage card
- Coldwraith – 56.8% WR, #20 Mage card
- Ghastly Conjurer – 56.6% WR, #33 Mage card
- Breath of Sindragosa – 55.8% WR, #40 Mage card
How the mighty have fallen. The top two class cards for Mage are legendaries, but Frost Lich Jaina gets a decent boost (9.4% of all Arena Mages) from the synergy pick system. The Mage toolkit was lousy for the new set, with a couple of unplayable epic spells, and this helped bring the class down a bit. There were no “bomb spells.” Coldwraith is good, but everything else pales in comparison to the spells from Un’Goro and before.
- Uther of the Ebon Blade – 60.7% WR, #4 Paladin card
- Righteous Protector – 60% WR, #12 Paladin card
- Bolvar, Fireblood – 58.4% WR, #29 Paladin card
- Dark Conviction – 58.1% WR, #32 Paladin card
- Arrogant Crusader – 58% WR, #34 Paladin card
To show the quality of Paladin cards in Arena, Righteous Protector is just #12, and it is as good as it gets for a 1-drop. A lot of lackluster cards, but everything is overpowered to keep the class great. Note the reduction of Stonehill Defender, which makes it a must-pick draft rare.
- Shadowreaper Anduin – 59.4% WR, #1 Priest card
- Obsidian Statue – 55.4% WR, #20 Priest card
- Shadow Ascendant – 55.3% WR, #23 Priest card
- Embrace Darkness – 54.1% WR, #34 Priest card
- Spirit Lash – 54% WR, #35 Priest card
Seeing a trend here, yes the Death Knight heroes remain quite good. Obsidian Statue is a good card, but costing 9 likely has something to do it being just 20th best. Shadow Ascendant might be better in classes with more aggressive early game as well. Everything else is mediocre.
- Plague Scientist – 59.8% WR, #14 Rogue card
- Bone Baron – 59.7% WR, #16 Rogue card
- Shadowblade – 59.6% WR, #17 Rogue card
- Lilian Voss – 59.4% WR, #21 Rogue card
- Spectral Pillager – 58.4% WR, #36 Rogue card
It seems Death Knight Valeera is more of a Constructed build-around than Arena card. But, the Rogue got Plague Scientist, Bone Baron and Shadowblade, all decent cards to keep the class afloat. The class card kit is still spectacular, and the new cards don’t particularly hurt the class standing.
- Thrall, Deathseer – 54.2% WR, #17 Shaman card
- Brrrloc – 53.7% WR, #25 Shaman card
- Avalanche – 53.3% WR, #31 Shaman card
- Voodoo Hexxer – 52.8% WR, #41 Shaman card
- Snowfury Giant – 51.9% WR, #48 Shaman card
Shaman was definitely in the lower third in Un’Goro, and the new freeze class identity shift decelerated any Arena movement it had. I mean, the top class common/rare is Brrrloc, with a low winrate. Thrall, Deathseer seems solid in Constructed, where it might be easier to hold the board than in Ranked. The hero does nothing on an empty board. I expected Voodoo Hexxer to be one of the better cards, but that doesn’t appear to be the case right now. If the synergy pick is working correctly, Thrall, Deathseer should be offered 2x higher, like Frost Lich Jaina.
- Bloodreaver Gul’dan – 59.9% WR, #1 Warlock card
- Despicable Dreadlord – 59.5% WR, #3 Warlock card
- Defile – 57.5% WR, #17 Warlock card
- Drain Soul – 56.5% WR, #30 Warlock card
- Gnomeferatu – 56.4% WR, #32 Warlock card
Arena Warlock was always fun in my book, and now is the time to reap. Some new ridiculous toys were added to the toolkit, and Bloodreaver Gul’dan (10.2%!) is seeing an offering bonus thanks to the synergy picks. Despicable Dreadlord is a stud. Defile will give humanities majors fits, but efficient board clear. The class has moved up a good deal.
- Scourgelord Garrosh – 56.8% WR, #1 Warrior card
- Blood Razor – 52.1% WR, #12 Warrior card
- Forge of Souls – 52% WR, #13 Warrior card
- Mountainfire Armor – 51.3% WR, #16 Warrior card
- Val’kyr Soulclaimer – 49.3% WR, #37 Warrior card
The Arena doghouse class is still there. A lot of the cards had the “Whirlwind theme” which is more of a Constructed build around, than being good for Arena. Ravaging Ghoul is good since it fits being a 3-drop. Overcosted 5’s and 4’s aren’t that good. Maybe a fun challenge for good Arena players.
- The Lich King – 59.9% WR
- Bonemare – 59.3% WR
- Keening Banshee – 58.8% WR
- Hyldnir Frostrider – 58.3% WR
- Deathspeaker – 57.9% WR
The Lich King is just OP and should be drafted over almost every legendary. You can make an exception for Death Knight heroes maybe, and a few good ones. The neutrals and rares on this list all are over-stated, or buff other minions to help preserve the board.
There you have it. Just by looking at class card rankings, you can estimate where the class is in the new Arena meta. Look forward to checking more data and numbers as the Arena meta keeps on moving.